HELP, E24 FUEL PROBLEMS --> PART 2 <--

Allright all,
The problem has escalated BIG time... Last night I drove the car to the video
store, and it started right up in my garage... it ran really rough until I
was able to warm it up, but otherwise behaved wonderfully all the way to the
store, I went in, rented a movie, came back out, WOULD NOT START, I waited a
good hour for it to cool down, no deals.

I went back this morning, and could not get the car to start, at first I
thought it was the fuel pump, we primed the pump by connecting a cable from
the battery to the pump... still nothing.  The pump DID NOT run (as it is
supposed to) for a "few seconds" when the key is turned to the "ON" position.
 Also, upon further inspection, there was no power going to the pump when
cranking, so again, we supplied the fuel via the priming procedure while
cranking..... nothing.... we checked for spark.  NO SPARK.  So we started
worrying about the ECU.  We think the ECU might be broken.

Here's the info on the ECU.  It has 55 pins.  It has a YELLOW sticker that
reads:

BOSCH
0 261 200 150
Made in Germany

(I take the number to be a part #)

there is also a white sticker that has 3 strings of #'s and 3 barcodes, they
are:

1720981        013
                         810

and a sticker with the BMW logo and the VIN and some other #'s:

WBAEC8413J
3267886
CB53

I have heard of ECU's developing hairline cracks because of heat, and I fear
that one of those cracks has developed on my car, starting with the bucking,
then stalling, and now, not starting, and no spark, and no power to the fuel
pump.  Please help me out here... I'm just speculating, but if anyone has
knowledge about ECU's, how I can tell whether my ECU is good or bad, and
where I can get one cheaper than from a dealer.  TIA again...

Stephen Smith
'88 635csi (?)
'83 533i