e28 air conditioner question

Greetings,

Yesterday, coming home I tried using the air conditioner on my 87 535i
and it didn't work correctly. When I pressed the AC button, and turned
up the fan, the amount of air reduced quite a bit from when it was just
the fan running. I had heard that even during the winter, you should run
the AC for a few minutes periodically to keep the seals lubricated,
which I do. When I turn off the AC, the fan really puts out a good
volume of air. I tried running it again later and it appears to be
putting out cooler air, but no real volume, not enough to keep it on,
that is.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do?
Regards,
Rick Paulin