2000 323i

Hi all,

I just subscribed to the digest and I thought I'd introduce myself.  I've
been a BMW admirer for a long time and I'm finally planning on making my
very first purchase in the coming months.  I hope that subscribing to this
digest may help me to gain some insights  into BMW automobiles so that I can
become a more informed consumer, and ultimately, a more knowledgeable owner.

I had compared the 1999 BMW 323i with competitors like the Audi A4 2.8
Quattro and the Saab 9-3 SE.  After reading all the technical specifics and
the reviews I conducted my own comparison and came to the inescapable
conclusion that the 323i was the superior automobile.  But as soon as I
began talking with the local BMW dealership I was quickly disappointed with
their resistance to negotiating price - the best price I was able to acquire
was $2000 above cost which is about a 7% profit for the dealer not including
holdback and the other "hidden" charges like advertising and training.  Is
this par for the course when shopping for a new BMW, or should I be able to
get better pricing?

Now it's May and I've been informed that the new 2000 model-year 323i sedans
go into   production in June and should start to be available sometime
around July or August.  So at this point, I think I'm going to hold out for
a new 2000.  By the way, I'd like to share with you some preliminary
information about the 2000 model-year 323i sedans that probably isn't public
knowledge just yet.  Apparently, BMW will now be offering a special
"Sport-Premium Package" which includes: sports suspension, sport steering
wheel, 16" sport alloy wheels, moonroof, auto-dimming mirror, wood trim,
elec. seats w/driver memory, front armrest, sport seats, fog lights, and
on-board computer.

As you might be able to tell, I'm quite enthused about the prospect of
owning a new BMW.  But I'm also a little concerned, especially after having
recently visited web sites like: www.bmwlemon.com and www.bmwbeware.com.  I
was also surprised to hear about a recall notice that was just posted for
the 1999 323i sedans concerning the side airbags.  Can anyone share some
insight into these concerns?

Lastly, does anyone have experience with the European Delivery program?

Cheers,

Zerxes Bhagalia