540i v. 540iA

On Fri, 7 May 1999, bmw-digest wrote:
> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:09:48 -0700
> From: John Edward Miller <jem@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: NEED HELP 540i vs 540iA
>
> > I'm a new subscriber to the bmw digest and I am beseeching the list for
> > some advice.  I'm 53, live in a populated area of central PA and am
> > bored with my current vehicles including a '98 M-B E320.  I am seeking
> > new adventures with a fun sport sedan.  I have driven the 540i with 6
> > speed and find it amazing as a total performance vehicle.
> > Unfortunately, I have been told that the 6 speed may be tough to drive
> > in congested traffic conditions and I'm concerned that it will become
> > tedious to drive over time.  I have not had the opportunity to drive the
> > Steptronic as no regional dealer has one in stock at the moment.  Any
> > comments regarding either automatic version of the 540iA would be
> > greatly appreciated particularly with reference to the 540i 6 speed in
> > terms of a mid-life crisis fun vehicle.

I've driven the 99 automatic and Steptronic and preferred the auto
although 6spd is still tops for me.  Steptronic slipped when shifting
under load in manual mode -- auto mode was fine.  Steptronic and others
(e.g., Lexus GS400) appear to me as novelties currently.  540 has enough
power/torque that you don't have to be shifting gears all the time in
traffic.  So my vote is for the 6spd, right?  Well, that's what I wanted
originally, but I got an M3/4 instead.  540's are not so overwhelming
after driving an M3.  Tiny side mirrors on M3 provide incentives to seek
driving solutions with right foot.  So before you commit try an M car (I
note another responder suggested an M5).  Or maybe a 528 -- just be sure
to get the sport package.  Of course the ultimate midlife crisis
vehicle is a Z3 -- any engine -- puts the joy back into driving in traffic
- -- and just keep your MB. All of the above handle well and go pretty
fast (some just get there sooner).  Hope this simplifies things.

Actually, what a great quandary to be in.  Enjoy the decision making
process.

Stu Burness
ABQ, NM