E30 - aging ragtops

After driving my E30 325i my g/f jumped at the purchase of one of her own
BMW.  She purchased a 318i ragtop and has no regrets whatsoever; she loves
it.  We've noticed though that the top seems to be near the end of its life.
The car is a 92 and I think that I can safely assume that it's the original
top; black in color.

What is the expected life of a BMW top?  There are a couple worn areas where
water tries to come through.  I've done what I could so far and sprayed
silicone waterproofing on the roof to dispel as much water retention as
possible.  Is there anything else that I can do to buy us more time until it
gets replaced - like maybe rubber silicone on the underside in troubling
areas or....what?

As far as replacement goes, is this a project that can feasibly be done at
home?  And....who offers the best price when it comes to stuff like this?

>>>  Oh, I haven't read the digest lately so I'm way behind on the articles
written.  Have mercy if I'm covering something that already has been -
enhanced lighting.   I ordered the "super bright" headlights by PIAA and
think that the light output is awesome - better than the "increased wattage"
bulbs offered.  Here's a great FYI for ya....don't buy the "super white"
lights sold by Pep Boys, Autozone or other auto shops at their measely price
of about $20 ea. and expect them to be the same.  They aren't.  The output
is still yellowish in hue - NOT "white" like the real HID or Super Brights,

Thanks greatly!

(written and submitted via Outlook Express.  I hope that I've successfully
removed the MIME encoding that has plagued my earlier postings months back.
If not, feel free to flame as I know there are those that would want to, but
a simple comment would be best otherwise.  :) )    Tschuess!

Sean & Heather
Raleigh, NC
2 E30's