Torque wrench

<Original message from: "The MaZe" <thezeeuw@domain.elided>
<Subject: Torque-wrench needed for replacing sparks?
<
<Hi All!
<
<Recently I have back-fire problems when running on LPG, probably due to a
<faulty ignitionsystem. Therefore i planned to change the sparks in the
first
<place. I did this one a millions time, but now the vendor told me this
spark
<(Bosch W8DC) needed to be tighten up precize, thus using a torque-wrench!
Is
<this so? (ig uess it is, 'cause the manuals tells the same...) I allways
did
<it without. (i don't even have a torque-wrench). So if this all is true,
can
<someone please tell me how tighten up this one without a wrench? (something
<like, tigthen up by hand, and use a tool for a final 1/4 turn or something
<like that...)
<TIA
<Greetinx,
<MaZe '86 320i 279 kKm

My answer:

Buy a torque wrench--

You can get away with out one, but as you see, eventually you have to pay
the piper.  If you love your cars, and enjoy working on them, it's worth the
$20.00 at sears for a torque wrench-(their cheap one).  Plus other projects
demand a torque wrench.  I would never rebuild any engine block/head without
using proper torque the result can be a warped head or worse.  Even other
less sensitive jobs should be done with correct torque- ever had brakes
pulse on you?  It's usually the result of warped rotors due to inconsistent
torque on the different lug nuts.  Why take the chance?  For $20 you have
cheap insurance that you're doing the job right.  FWIW

Oscar