<E34> Ball Joint Removal

I'm attempting to replace the thrust arm bushings in my 1989 535i.
Unfortunately, I can't get the ball joints on the thrust arm to loosen from
the suspension hardware.

According to the bentley manual, I'm supposed to remove the lock nut and
lightly tap with a hammer or use some sort of pressing device.  I bought a
gear puller, but there doesn't seem to be enough room for the arms to fit.
There is supposedly a BMW tool available for this purpose, but I have not
idea where to find one.  Would a dealer stock this?

Thanks
Lance Cameron
'89 535i