Paint chips on new Bimmer

Not what you want to hear, but my wife has a 323i, 1600 miles, city and
freeway driving with no chips.  No paint problems here.  It's gonna
eventually happen, but not following anyone  closely and giving trucks a
wide berth is the best advise you'll get.  Ask the dealer for a BMW CCA
discount on that bra (size 46E or is that E46).

>A friend just bought her first BMW a month ago
>(white '99 323i; new) and she is not happy that it
>already has several paint chips on the front
>end/hood area (presumably from little stones
>hitting it).
>
>The dealer says basically tough cookies, this is
>normal. But car only has 1200 in-town
>low-speed miles on it. I agree with her that this
>does not bode well for the future appearance of
>her car, as it will look like crap in couple years
>at this rate. (By comparison, my M3 only has a few
>chips after 27,000 rough miles, many of these at
>speeds where insects could chip paint).
>
>Has anyone had experience trying to get
>satisfaction from BMW for such weak paint? I'm
>thinking maybe front end repaint, or reduced price
>on bra? (Ugh - I like 'em on women but not on
>cars). Is BMW using chip-prone paint on E46s? Do
>we have a lawsuit here? (Just kidding, but we are
>both lawyers).

Dave Lehmann
BMW CCA 133006
Peachtree Chapter