CHP Volvos

> I heard on the radio news this morning that the CHP is acquiring a
> new patrol car in replacement for the Crown Vic. Watch out for a
> new Volvo S70 cruising the CA highways, they claimed that this
> cruiser can do 150mph.

> Marlo

>>  Not true at all, the new cruisers are Crown Vics capable of doing
>> 150

Yes, true.  There are 8 to be tested throughout California.  Two of them are
in my area (Sacramento), 2 others are in other parts of Northern California,
and 4 are in Southern California.

Ford has said they will discontinue the Crown Vic by 2005 so the State wants
to get a jump on things by not waiting until then to find a replacement.
Since Volvo is owned by an American company now, I guess we're still buying
American ;-))

If the field tests work out okay, then Volvo will be the main machine for
the CHP.

Now if BMW was owned by an American company (shudder), we might have seen
some 7 running up and down the freeways!

Bill