E30 325i engine life.

My mechanic just pulled the head off a 400,000 kms 325i to change its
leaking cylinder head gasket. I saw it myself, the cylinders STILL have
the cross hatching and bore marks and the car uses very minimal oil. I
spose its how the previous owner cared for it, what oil was used, how
often it was changed, whether the engine has been overheated before etc.
I have a friend in the club who has just had a huge crack develope in
his 205,000 km 325i head.
You have to listen to it start up when cold, also when you drive it,
take it up to 4000 rpm, back off and then accelerate again, if smoke
comes out its most likely the bottom end has had it.
Good luck
Michael St.Clair