DIY vs. Professional Repair

Hmmmm...

Interesting take, and it has its valid points.

HOWEVER, we were all beginners at one point.  I've taught myself (with
tons of valuable help from my Bentley manual and Digesters, especially
Digesters!) how to take care of my car.

I've done everything from suspension work (3 of us, complete novices,
did it in one evening -- nothing's fallen off yet!) to changing my head
bolts to oil changes.

The one key is to be careful.  If you're not sure of what you're doing,
than you'd best not do it (unless you want to throw away your BMW).
But a lot of times it becomes more apparent what to do once you
actually get involved with something.

So, to all the newbies out there, GO FOR IT!  Start with something
easy, like an oil/filter change.  Then maybe work your way up to doing
the suspension or engine work.  You'll learn a whole lot about your car
and how it works in the process.  And you'll have the satisfaction that
repairs were done right (and done analy -- you don't think a mechanic
is going to care for you car like you do, do you?).  Go forth and work
on thy car!  And don't feel hesitant about posting to the Digest for
help...

    KC Boyce
    '85 325e
    E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce