<e34. 535 running problems (longish

First, thanks I advance to anyone who dives in here;  this has been a major=20
pain I the butt for a while and I appreciate whatever feedback I can get. =20
I=92m going nuts over my 89 535=92s weird behavior.  It happens mainly when =
the=20
car is cold, every few weeks.=20

Situation #1:The car takes a while to start. It turns over and lamely=20
idles=97like it=92s on the brink of stalling out.  Giving it gas at all at t=
his=20
point causes it to stall out completely.

The car will run for a minute or so and then get the dreaded "Limited Rev"=20
sickness.  Everything's fine for the first 30 seconds, then the car does not=20
respond fully to the gas pedal but instead will rev erratically at 2000 or=20
so, never higher, even when it=92s supposed to be full throttle.

The car never stalls out at this point, but doesn=92t want to rev either.  T=
he=20
Check Engine light comes on. After about five minutes, everything is OK.  Th=
e=20
engine revs through the band beautifully, and there=92s no hesitation in=20
traffic.

Situation #2: Car runs fine for a while, then hesitates and "jumps"; first n=
o=20
response, then all at once.  This occurs intermittently as well. (#1 was=20
yesterday, #2 was today; both disappeared during the second drive of the day=
).

The beloved Check Engine light diagnostic gives me a 1-2-2-2: OO2 sensor=20
problem. =20

This hasn=92t been bad for 6 months. Back then, the car wouldn=92t start on=20
occasion, as well. I=92ve changed the O2 sensor (tho I wonder if the new uni=
t=20
might be defective), tightened the hose clamps around the AFM (thought it=20
helped), and replaced the RPM sensor.  I=92ve switched chips, with no change=
.=20
There=92s a head gasket leak that dribbles some coolant down the side of the=20
engine, but that seems unrelated.

I=92d like to think something as simple as new plug wires will fix this,=20
especially since I have a set in the garage, but it seems to be more=20
electronic. =20

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Blake
89 535 w/lots of non-stock stuff and a rpm problem
93 stock and OK=20