re: strut bearings

Hi

I saw your message on the BMW digest and thought I might offer my thoughts.

>>....... M3 with bilsteins and H&Rs  developed a VERY
hard pounding ride on the front drivers side. At first i thought the strut
blew and it was bottoming out... but no sign of a leak.  After paying more
attention to the harsh ride, i began to realize it feels more like its not
compressing at all instead of bottoming...

This initialy sounds like your strut  has seized. You can check easy enough
by pushing down on both front wings one at a time and see if one doesn't
bounce. That will be the seized one!

>>The only time i hear a slight rattling noise coming from the stut is when
>>begin to drive up my driveway at an angle. It must cause it to shift
around a
>>little bit.
>>Can the upper strut bearing  have gone bad it it was installed using an
air
>>gun?  thats what i heard.... Mine might have been put on with one when i
had
>>the suspention put on 15k miles ago.

When strut bearings 'go', they usually make the car wander around when the
steering wheel is held straight or they make the steering go very stiff. I
would hazard a guess that this is not you problem. And who puts struts
together with an airgun? Change garage buddy........

I hope this is of some use.
regards

Sean

http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~scm1/bmw.htm