PWS problems on an E28. wiring faults?

Hi, I have an '86 528e that seems to have a problem with the power
windows.  For all the E28 owners, you know there is a push-button switch
for supplying power to the power-windows.  This switch was installed by
BMW so the owner could tell when he has a fault somewhere in his wiring
for the power windows...

And there is a small relay that is "tripped" and buzzes continuously when
the key isn't in the ignition, one should also note that the lit
power-window switches by the gear-shifter dim...but do not go out!

I have replaced the relay 3 TIMES, but I'm afraid that the fault is
somewhere in the existing wiring!  This car was hit pretty hard in the
Left-rear quarter before I got it and had a new quarter cut and welded
into it...

Well, that's what I can tell, you.....ANY information is considered!

Thanks, oh great guru!

Eben Shantz
'86 528e
BCCA #0163464