<ALL> Trailer Hitches

In BMW Digest v09.n1049 Kevin M. Kobielusz <kmk8258@domain.elided>
wrote:

> I have an '85 318i, I'd like to install a hitch so I can tow a very
> small trailer.  Can anyone recommend a towing weight limit?  I figure
> my 318 can handle towing a little extra weight, as long as I change
> the gear oil at the end of my trip.  I consulted the Hitch Masters
> web site and they had a few hitches to choose from, but I'm waiting
> for them to fax installation instructions before I order one.

For most BMW models BMW NA says towing is 'not recommended'.  The
BMW AG tow ratings for the same cars in Europe are quite reasonable,
and towing there is common.  I suspect the NA opinion is a legal one
rather than a technical one.

Some rules of thumb for occasional towing:

 - A proper hitch properly installed is essential
 - Almost any car can tow 1000 pounds
 - A trailer heavier than 1500 pounds needs brakes
 - Most cars can comfortably tow half their weight
 - To tow more than about 3000-4000 pounds requires a pickup,
   SUV, other vehicle with body-on-frame construction, or an
   older, large mercan passenger car with a suitable tow rating

Consider a receiver style hitch.  It has an square socket mounted
permanently on the car.  You insert a removable ball carrier with
ball for towing.  When not towing the receiver is inconspicuous
and out of the way.

Unless you are quite confident you can install a hitch properly,
you should have it done by a local hitch shop.  Many U-Haul dealers
sell and install hitches.  Look for a shop that installs a lot of
hitches.  Special wiring for the trailer lights is required for
most modern BMWs; a good hitch shop will know how to deal with this.

Here's a good hitch place in the East Bay:

  Barstad & Donicht
  795 Aladdin Avenue
  San Leandro, California
  510 357-0777

The company that makes the most BMW hitches in the US is:

  Da'Lan Hitch
  68 Walker Road
  Shirley, MA  01464
  800 325-2613
  508 425-9585
  508 425-9464 fax

You can buy directly from Da'Lan, or you can buy through a local
hitch shop.  You can shop for hitches online at Hitch-Web, which
sells Da'Lan and several other good brands:

  www.hitch-web.com

Towing puts an extra strain on many parts of the car, especially
tires, automatic transmission, clutch (for hill starts), brakes,
body, and cooling system.  Surprisingly, the engine is not a major
factor in figuring tow ratings.  Allow plenty of extra stopping
distance.  With an automatic tranny, do *not* tow in overdrive,
and change the auto tranny fluid more often.

Curt Ingraham
Oakland, California
'72 2002tii (no hitch)
'95 Suburban K2500 (tow monster)