Advice on a tranny swap

Hey all :)
I just purchased a rather ugly looking '83 533i.  Cosmetically it's not very
strong, but it drives beautifully and is mechanically superior to a previous
535i that I owned.  I am, however, going to perform a transmission swap
between my '88 635csi and the 533i.  The 533 is a 5spd. and the 635 is an
automatic.  I am looking for tips, and advice.  I have recieved information
as to how to perform this operation, but I am interested in actual stories
about things like this... I have thought of a few problems that need to be
overcome -- they are:

- -- Driveshafts are more than likely different
- -- I have a doubt as to whether the electronically controlled 4spd automatic
will        match up to the electronics in the 533... any thoughts?
- -- other specifics

TIA for all replies, on the digest or in private emails...

Stephen "BiFF" Smith
'88 635csi
'83 533i