Profile Gasket for Pre '93 M42

Hello BMW Digesters:

Excuse me if this has been asked many times, but I'm new here...

Can anyone advise as to problems with a faulty timing case profile gasket
on the M42 motors? Has anyone actually experienced a failure on this? Does
it gradually decompose or just disintegrate and leave you stranded on the
side of the road?

I have a 1991 318is which has 45K miles on it. I don't think it leaks yet
but I'm considering replacing it. The job costs a lot of money. I can
presume that the new gasket isn't made of the same faulty material the
originals were made of.

Any comments appreciated, TIA.

Bill