<E30> Help: how do I get my chrome nice?

Hello,

The chrome on my 325es has stains (whitish) on it and I don't know how to
get them out. I've tried the following things:

- - Noxon metal polish. Endless polishing seems to have a very slight effect.
Not good enough.
- - Brasso. No effect.
- - One Grand chrome polish. No effect.
- - 1500 grit 3M sandpaper. Endless sanding seems to have a very slight
effect. Not Good enough. Also produces scratches and sandpaper wears out
quickly.

Is the chrome trim really chrome (plated)? What is the bumper made of? It
has the shine of aluminum, but it seems harder then that.

I would very much appreciate any advise or answers.

Thanks,

Michiel