How hard is it to change a water pump??? (E36)

I've been noticing a loud ticking noise coming from the are where my
water pump is and I am thinking of changing it.  It sounds like a card
hitting a fan.  I checked the engine fan and it's ok so I'm assuming it
will probably be the water pump.  How hard is it to change one?  Will I
need special tools?  Is it worth the trouble and time or should I have a
shop do it?  I work around the block from GT International Motors in
West L.A. and was wondering if anyone on the digest has taken their car
their and how their work was. Any comments are appreciated.  TIA!!

Manuel Paredes
95 325i Sharked,x-ed,M3 mflrd
L.A. Chapt BMWCCA