E 28 Spring Questions

Hello ,
      I have an 88 535i that I would like to buy some aftermarket
springs and possibly struts for . I am looking at purchasing H&R springs
and was told by one retailer that I needed to purchase Bilstein sports ,
or a strut with a shorter than stock rod , is this the case ? or will
the OE struts work with the shorter springs ? I am looking for a
moderate
increase in the stiffness of the suspension as the local roads are
50% potholes . My strut rod bushings are worn and I would like to
upgrade
these to a stiffer than stock bushing , does anyone have any suggestions
on what is the best type to use , modified 750i bushings or urethane  ?
any help on these two questions is greatly appreciated .
Thanks,
Dave.