Rear End Work...

Rod,
I have done a little rear end work on american musclecars (Chevy 10 & 12
bolt, Ford 9", Mopar 8 3/4", big Dana posi), but I haven't done a ring
or pinion bearing or set the pinion preload or ring backlash on a BMW
yet (my 3.25 LSD 5'er is still hanging in there).  This job (rear end
work) really is one left up to pros that have the proper tools and dial
gauges, shims/crush sleeves/seals and plenty of knowledge.  Ask them to
change all of the seals. You should be able to get a break on the price
if you pull it yourself and drop it off at a good shop. Also check on
how long they will stand behind their work, a good shop will give you a
decent time/mileage number.  It really is a big job, but done correctly
you will never have to touch it again, except for fluid checks.

Jerry  Lee
'88 535is - JimC, tons of goodies, sweet ride.......
'71 Challenger R/T - 425 hp, 4-speed, 3.23 posi, 1 belt beast......
BMWCCA # 150271.