Re: e28 deceleration...

Mark-
  I have an '85 535i with the same symptoms.  A local specialty shop (with a
great reputation and a VERY high per hour rate) told me it was normal - I know
this is not true.  Brett A. has advised me to check resistance at the throttle
position sensor, but  his money is on a bad airflow meter.  I just got back in
town last night, so today is the first chance I'll have to go "hunting..."
Our powerplants are a bit different, but problems could be the same - keep me
posted on the situation!
Thanks,
robW