Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware!)

A bit of history to set the scene...
A couple of years ago, I had the mis-fortune to use a couple of rock
walls to stop my 3 month old 316i Compact. I was traveling at about
50kph before this rather un-orthodox braking maneuver. I walked away
with a bruised shoulder from the seat belt, but the car was declared a
write-off. Thanks to my insurance policy (and $1,000 excess) I had an
identical brand new one six weeks later; which (knock wood) is still
purring along nicely.

Back to the present...
Two weeks ago, I get a letter from a complete stranger asking to discuss
my 'previous BMW'; and you guessed it, THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD!!!

My insurance company had sold the write-off to a crash repairer in
another state 'for parts'. Said crash repairer appears to have gotten
greedy, resurrected the write-off, re-registered it and sold it to some
un-suspecting punters who thought they were getting a bargain. (God help
them!)

I don't know what legislation is in place elsewhere, but something has
to be done about keeping these Lazerus-vehicles off the road. I just
hope that I'm stating the obvious when I say to do your research before
you buy a used vehicle, BMW or otherwise. A couple of letters or phone
calls to previous owners before signing the papers doesn't take much
effort, and could save you no end of expense and grief.

Although I have no liability in this person's plight, I am going to give
them every assistance to ensure they get their money back from the
person they bought it from. I feel it's the least I can do.

I'll post progress reports as the situation develops...

Tom & Deb Fairchild
'94 316i Compact