Bypassing the alternator at WOT

Hi,
I found an interesting homepage:

http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/alterpower.htm

>ALTERPOWER is an electronic system developed by RaceLogic which bypasses
the alternator at wide >throttle openings, releasing considerable extra
power which would otherwise have been absorbed - tests on >road engines have
shown improvements in the order of 6 to 8bhp.?????

My question is:
How can  it improve the power by 6 to 8 hp?
When I look at my alternator it says 12V 65A which gives me P=U*I and is in
the best case ~ 1000W which
is also ~ 1.3hp.
I'm not a physicist nor a mathematician but where do the rest of the hp come
from?

Regards

Horst

'80 323i project car with eta power