<e38> 740i - OBC message

hmmm...I hope this isn't really bad news...but I was pulling into my
driveway tonight ('95 740i) shifted into park and was about to shut off the
engine whent the obc message said 'FAILSAFE TRANS PROGRAM".  I went inside
to see what the manual suggested and it said basically, if the car will move
it will likely use 4th and 5th gear..so don't lug it...not too
encouraging...now, on the bright side, the car has 49,740 miles, and 6
months before expiration of the original warranty.  (The car is also
certified, although no paperwork has arrived yet).
Anyway, I went back to the car about 10 minutes later and re-started it...no
message, and it appears to be fine...guess I should take it in for a check
anyway.  Basic question, has anyone else seen this?  Did it result in a real
problem?
One last thing...although I can't find any record of the engine being
changed out (the DCI? check showed that all service and repairs were done at
the same dealer, but when asked, they say it is a difficult job to tell me
what THEIR defect codes mean!!!), I finally jacked up the car and checked
the block casting number and found (1 745 872) which according to Brett
Anderson's page is lined with Alusil -- Yippee!!!
So, I'm shootin 50% today...engine GOOD, transmission NOT SO GOOD.
John Thomas
'95 740i
'94 318i - sold today!!!!
'87 325 - 166k and going strong!!!