re: compression braking

An engineer's opinion.

Lets see, for us to slow down we need to decrease the amount of
potential energy and convert it into another form of energy, heat.

I would rather heat up my brakes than the trans fluid. The trans
fluid has a vecosity that is normal when it is not too hot or too
cold. By transfering the heat to this fluid vs the brake rotor and
brake fluid, I believe that your are putting excess wear on the
trans.

The brake system is designed to transfer this type of energy into
heat and dissapate the heat as fast-as-possible.

Decades ago, brakes were not as well designed as they are today and
required a different type of driving style.

Most of you should know this, but if you downshift, the electronics
will not prevent you from over-reving the engine. I know of one
extemely expensive repair from a test drive and down-shifting the
car only a couple months ago. It was a new BMW. I never heard if
the guy bought the car or paid some money for fixing and depreciating
the car value.

Mitch