RE: HFM Screens, Engine braking & downshifting

The HFM screen makes the airflow straight and smooth for a consistent
reading by the hot film wire.
- ------
Engine braking can be used to descend grades, but otherwise is eventually
detrimental to drivetrain wear and is why its not recommended to be done
constantly, and besides, I wouldn't subject my car to the same rigorousness
as my truck.

Engines and transmissions all develop wear on the thrust surfaces as power
is generated and transmitted down the drivetrain.  Certain sides of bearings
and tranny gears get worn in with age and clearances increase (old engine
gets loosey goosey).  Now if you throw in a lot of engine braking, you
create a bunch of thrust wear on opposite sides of the bearings and such, so
now the engine will get really loosey goosey, whereas that could have been
much less.  Of course, this only matters if you intend to keep the car for a
long time.  YlifeMV.

Now those going "well, what, are you going to baby it all its life", no, but
I also minimize subjecting it to something unnecessary.  Regarding gearing
down slowing up for a red light, you don't have to downshift so it catches
at 5K and winds down, more like <3K.  Go ahead and double clutch downshift
to 3rd, or if to 2nd you don't have to release the clutch yet until you can
actually accelerate.  You're going so slow at that point it doesn't matter
that you're cruising disengaged.