Geneva Autoshow: X5

The Geneva autoshow, going on right now, is the European introduction
of the X5 (the world intro being Detroit).   I was at the show on
Sunday, so here are a few notes about the X5...

- - BMW says the X5 is a SAV not an SUV.   On the little placcard by the
  display of the X5 it said: "Nurburgring Nord Schleife, < 9.5 min".
  A young BMW rep pointed out this placcard to me and adding to it
  that an M3 is only 30 seconds faster.   The BMW Magazin distributed
  at the show says 9'28" which is 60 seconds faster than the nearest
  competing SUV.   Clearly, BMW is trying to back up its claim that
  the X5 is not just another SUV.   Note the X5 used at the 'ring, had
  the V8 5.4 liter engine out of the 540i.

- - The rep and the Magazin both freely admit that the market for the X5
  is for those that need sedan handling qualities 90% of the time, but
  need off road capablity occasionaly at some destinations.

- - The young rep and a more senior one I talked to were both quick to
  admit that the X5 was designed for the American market.   It is
  being introduced there one year ahead of the rest of the world.   In
  Europe the target is the Jeep Cherokee and MB M-class.   The Jeep
  has established a growing market in Europe.

- - Three X5s were at the Geneva show.  One on a no-touch rotating
  platform.  A second was hidden behind a wall apparently to try to
  reduce lets-push-all-the-buttons crowd to those told by the reps it
  was there.  I don't think this worked as it was quite crowded back
  there. The third had been handled by BMW Indiviual and was upstairs
  in the by invitation only area (which I managed to enter).   This
  one had a gorageous leather and wood treatment that would rival any
  vechicle.  It had back seat TV and DVD player for the kids.   Also a
  TV camera mounted on the roof that could turn 360 degrees.   Form
  follows function is BMW's motto, so I asked what function does this
  feature preform?   The rep said:"Well, frankly none, but it
  demonstrates BMW Individual capablity".   Perhaps, more useful
  function was the built in coffee maker in the rear, the the small
  refrigrator.

There are some other things, I learned about the X5, but they are not
unique to the Geneva show.   So I'll stop here.

P.S.

   More to come from Geneva: new styling for Z3, the 3er Coupe.