Transmission

Hello everyone,

Am a new driver and have got a '89 316i 1.6litres.  The problem is, when
I change gear, I hear a knock, just one knock.  I wonder if it's my car
or my driving.  Is this happening because I am not pressing enough on
the accelerator or is this a transmission problem that needs servicing?

A friend recommended that I change to the next lowest gear when I see
the lights red a distance away.  It's supposed to be using engine brake
to slow down the car rather than using the brake. How sound is this
practice.  Does it have any repercussions.

Also, need some recommendations about something to remove bird dropping
marks.  The mark still seems to be there after I have softened it with
water and wiped it away.

Thanks in advance.

Seelan

End of bmw-digest V9 #1022