Re: <E30> Make power windows & sunroof work with ignition off

Michiel gives a good discussion of the pros and cons regarding the
electrical modification.  I'd like to add a few more considerations /
experiences.

1.  Little kids left in the car can severly injure each other if power
windows are operable.  As Michiel mentioned, PLEASE make sure no youngsters
will be put in a potentially dangerous situation in the car.

2.  The 154 mA continuous current drain is not significant in the SHORT
term, but my experience is that long-term life of the battery is
compromised.  I was having battery life trouble on my '84 VW Vanagon -
couldn't keep any battery longer than 3 years.  I disconnected the radio
clock (it was using LEDs that drew about 110 mA continuously), and the
problem went away.

All in all, I prefer to live with the inconvenience of "no accessory power
unless key is in  ignition."  I agree that it is a bit of a hassle, but I
know it is safer.

Sincerely,

John Hung
Auburn, AL
'86 325

>Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:52:17 -0500
>From: Michiel van Wessem <jmvw@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E30> Make power windows & sunroof work with ignition off
>
>Hi people,
>
>I made a very simple modification to my car today that allows me to operate
>the power windows and sunroof regardless of the position of the ignition
>switch.

:
: