other options to K&N???

I was wondering if there are any other cone filters, or performance
filters that would go into the stock air box, out there that perform the
same or better than a K&N that anyone recommends.  I would also like to
know if not getting the K&N filter would affect my Jim C. chip and M3
exhaust upgrade. (Maybe this is one for Jim C. to answer)  If so, is
there another filter or air intake mod out there that would do the same
thing as the K&N with out letting the larger dust particles through?
Sorry for all the questions.  TIA!

Manuel Paredes
95 325i X-ed
BMWCCA