Replacing Starter!

    I replaced the starter on my 84 528e this weekend.  I'll just say
that if you have the proper tools, the job can be done in an hour (three
hours is killing it!).  If you ever want to do it yourself, note the
following:

You will have to move a few things to gain better access.  I removed the
Air Filter & AFM Assembly, and pushed a few hoses out of the way.  I had
to buy a stubby 17mm closed-end wrench because the one I had was too
long for the confined space around the starter bolts (a ratchet is out
of the question).

The nuts face the front of the car having giving the appearance that the
studs are set in the block, NOT THE CASE.  When I broke the first nut
loose it continued to spin.  I then noticed that the lug was spinning as
well.  You can't use a wrench to hold the head because they require an
Allen Wrench.  I couldn't manipulate the Allen wrench well enough, so I
used vice grips.  From there on it was smooth sailing.  If you use vice
grips, be careful not to mar the head.  Make sure you have a firm grip.

(only 1 beer)