UUC software: wheel fitment calculator - try it out...

Hi everyone,

I built a graphical tire and wheel fitment calculator for use in determining
which tires and wheels will work well on which cars (BMW's of course), etc.
It's on my website. The address is at the bottom of this message.

It compares wheel and tire information for two cases. The most common
scenario is one in which you would put the information from your stock wheel
and tire package into one side of the calculator and compare your other
potential choices.

It displays the tire sections graphically, showing the hub centres and tire
outlines. Kind of like a video game. Well, not really that exciting.

It also displays the numerical values for the:

additional tire width inwards
additional tire width outwards
additional overall tire section height
additional ride height
additional tire circumference
change in final drive ratio

and has an interactive dual speedometer calculation routine. Input a
speedometer reading and it displays the actual road speed. Input a desired
actual road speed and it displays the corresponding speedometer reading.

The software is a snap to use - simply enter information in the boxes.
Everything else is calculated and displayed automatically.

Very useful for determining how much extra room you're going to need in the
fender wells of your 2002 for those 225/50/16's, etc...

***DISCLAIMER*** This software assumes that the nominal values for the width,
aspect ratio, etc. etc. are ACTUAL numbers and the speedometer readings in
your car with the stock wheel fitment are correct. It is intended for
guidance purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied on solely for fitment
information. There are many more variables such as rim inside profile, etc.
etc. that are not considered. I take no, zero, zilch, nil responsibility for
anything you do.

Anyway, here's the URL:

http://www.civil.ubc.ca/home/bohnen/tire_section_calculator_v5.xls

It's an Excel version 5 spreadsheet. All more recent versions of Excel will
open it and use it without any trouble. If anyone wants a copy in a format of
some other spreadsheet besides Excel please email me and I'll see what I can
do to email you one.

That's it - just another midnight Excel project that's gained a life of it's
own. (Anyone interested in a stochastic RRSP reliability simulator? A 2-d
ballistic flightpath simulator with calibrated non-linear air friction? A
multi-attribute decision matrix? A 3-parameter rainfall-runoff model with
visual-aided calibration?) ... I really need to learn to resist midnight
computing.

Anyhow, hope you like it. Please email with questions or comments.

best regards,

Aaron
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Student, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services