<E30>What to look for when inspecting the suspension?

I want to visually inspect the front and rear suspension on my recently
acquired 87 325is.  The ride right now is poor.  What do I look for, and
what tests can I perform, to determine which areas of my suspension
system need repair or replacement?  I have already noticed that the ball
joint boot on the front right control arm is broken and the joint is
completely void of lubricant.  I have not yet tested it for play but I
am assuming that it is shot.  My understanding is that replacement
requires the entire control arm to be replaced.

Thanks,

Mark Colasante
87 325is
90 325iC