<all> OBC... do you trust it? (and other deletrium)

As I've said in earlier posts, I just got my first BMW (see below) and
am accordingly paranoid with it.  More stupid questions follow.

I'm an old-schooler when it comes to oil changes and do it (or get it
done) every 3,000 miles or 3 mos, whichever comes first, without fail.
I'm convinced this practice has kept me in my Ford Bronco II for the
last 10 years 212,000 miles without a major engine problem.

Now, my 540i has an 8 qt capacity (!), and I asked the dealer about
frequency of oil changes. He said just get it done when the computer
tells me to. Pressed for details, he said it's about every 8k-10k
miles, which surprised me.

What's the opinion here; do you actually wait that long?  I assume if
BMW NA/AG says its ok, it's ok with me, but it makes me nervous.

As for washing this thing of beauty, I'm a little concerned about
high-pressure washing machines and the sunroof.  Is it safe to go
through these no-touch high-pressure things, or should I just do it
myself (which I loathe)?

Lastly, the car has an odd intermitten "pulsing" idle. I can't figure
any pattern to it; it can happen when I'm coasting, sitting still, or
various combinations (mainly when out of gear, clutch out, coasting
though). It will go from about 500 RPM to 700 RPM and back, about at a
1 second frequency. It makes my headlighs pulse, which, though a neat
effect, not really what I would consider Good Vehicle Behaviour.

Ideas?

Again, many, many thanks; you guys are simply a fabulous resource, and
I'm very grateful that these groups are around.

- --
'95 540i 6 speed
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

End of bmw-digest V9 #1006