<e30> looking for more power!

I have an '84 318i auto w/ 168,000 miles.  Even though the car is 15 years
old, i know it had to have more power than this.  I haven't timed the
acceleration, but 0-60 has to be in the 10-12 second range, if not more.
Are there any adjustments i can make to get a bit more power out of it?  My
A/C is shot, and looking like 700-1000 to convert to new standards, so i
was thinking of just pulling the whole thing for weight, which should help
considerably.  Any other suggestions would be great.

- -j