E28 vs. E34 vs. E39 (WOB)

Digesters,

Joe Mazza wrote:
".....There is considerable discussion about whether the E39 is a worthy
successor to the E34.  The jury is still out.  Many people, myself included,
think the E39's styling is boring (at best) and the initial quality seems to
be well below that of the bulletproof E34 standard..."
Then Jay Kenty wrote:

"Joe- I beg to differ, respectfully.  My wife and I fully intended to
purchase an E34 this past Fall, and we tested several '95s- 525i, 530i,
530iT.  They were great cars.  Then my wife and I tested an E39, and we
couldn't believe the improvement.  We even went back to test another E34 to
verify what we had experienced.
The E39 is clearly a designer's generation ahead of the E34 in every
respect.  Granted, the E39 is schmoozier and quieter; and the E34 had plenty
of character, and it is no doubt bulletproof.  Yes, maybe the E39's "jury is
out", but the E34 has been replaced with a newer, younger stud.  It happens
to all of us, eventually."

Of course those of us with E28s question the "worthiness" of the E34 as a
proper successor......:-)

Reed
Issaquah, WA
1985 535i (with limping transmission)