(no subject)

I checked out a 535is for some digesters yesterday, and driving the car
reminded me of of some gremlins I have gotten used to.
   My '85 535i has little power under 3000 rpm, at which point it takes off
like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs...  It resembles a
pronounced turbo lag situation.  Idle is a bit rough, sometimes dipping into
the 600 rpm range.  In addition, there is a dead spot at near throttle off, or
poor throttle modulation.  (When letting off the throttle at low engine
speeds, there is a sudden cut out.  Conversely, when trying to feather in
throttle at low engine speeds, there is a sudden surge when mid throttle kicks
in with a nifty little jerk...)  It makes for some interesting looks from
passengers...
   Has anyone dealt with these symptoms before?  Driving the low-mile e28 has
reminded me of how these cars are supposed to run, and has rekindled my desire
to fix mine!!!
As always, (almost) any input will be appreciated...
robW