Hello! (and questions...)

Hello all,

Just joined the list(s) being a new BMW owner ('95 540i 6 speed) and I
have a few questions.

First off, though I'm a new BMW owner, I've been on mailing lists
since during the old BITNET days, so if I'm asking FAQ's or questions
that typically start holy wars of one sort or another, please accept
my a priori apologies.  (A pointer TO the FAQ would be most
appreciated also.)

* Two weeks after I bought the car, the OBC tells me a brake light is
  out. So I run up to the BMW dealer and buy a bulb.  Now I can't
  figure out how to install the thing.  Nowhere can I find the place
  to get to the socket.  I couldn't imagine the lenses are held in by
  friction clips, but I couldn't find a screw-head either inside or
  out.

* Is there a canonical source for something on the order of a Chiltons
  manual for this car (so I don't keep bothering all of you?)

* I'm going to start attending the local BMWCCA driving schools so
  that may be a more appropriate forum for this question, but what's
  the general opinion on downshifting to slow down vs. using the brake
  only?

As I said, if I've trampled on any of the lists' general "accepted
behaviour" policies, I do apologize (but someone let me know privately
so I don't do it again)

Many thanks!

- --