Modifications Suggestions for an '88 E24?

Hey all,
I'm a freshman in college, and have owned my 6er for about 2.5 yrs. now.. I
love it, and have pretty much commited to the BMW marque.  At any rate... I'm
looking at a number of different modification possibilities... I have replaced
the rear shock assemblies (self-leveling system died, and I replaced with
Bilsteins), other than that the car is pretty much stock... My father
(engineer) suggested as lower budget upgrades, a K&N filter, and stainless
exhaust... Also he mentioned the possibility of an upgraded AFM... He read an
article that suggested the new Air Flow Meter let more air move thru, thereby
increasing compression... but then he read another article that suggested that
it was no a significant upgrade...

As far as head and block mods, I think I'm going to wait until the head
fails... (167,000K miles, w/out replacement, it's about time... :)  Anyway...
does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively low expense modification to
enhance performance???

I have attended a few track events,and I plan to do more this summer... Ice-
driving was fun!! :)  Anyway, TIA for your replies!! Feel free to reply
privately as well!

Stephen Smith
'88 635csi