Re: V8 conversions.....COBRA POWER!

At 10:14 -0500 990224, GGray657@domain.elided wrote:
>actually the best V8 conversion would be a FORD 4.6 COBRA motor. 300+ hp all
>aluminum it would probably weigh less than a big six which is no
>featherweight! And you can buy a ton of bolt on parts from SVT and the
>aftermarket..talk about a screamer!!!

Don't do it.

I've stayed silent on the V8 transplant issue, but I'll chime in now.

If you want to do a transplant, the Ford 302 is the right motor. The
aftermarket hasn't been able to make the 4.6 modular (SOHC or DOHC) do what
it's supposed to. At least not yet. There are only one or two 4.6 powered
cars in the local Shelby club that are even remotely competitive with the
302 and 351W machines, and they've gone to superchargers to do it.

Also, the motor is huge! You might have real problems fitting it between
the fenderwells of a car designed for a straight-six, especially the DOHC
version.

Now then, the 302 (or 351W with Al heads, which weighs about the same as an
all-iron 302) would probably be a good choice. There's a reason Shelby
picked the small-block Ford for the Tiger and later the Cobra. It's small,
light, and you can easily get 300hp on pump gas.

The rest of the driveline should hold up fine. If not, there are a few
choices for differentials that can handle the load and be made to fit in
the existing IRS setup.

Just my $0.02.

- -Zandr

PS: Forgive my ignorance, but what is different about an eta motor, and why
are they evil? I'm a newbie in the bimmer world. ;)
Aleksandr Milewski                                              N6MOD
n6mod@domain.elided                               http://www.amt.org/n6mod/