5 speeds, 6 speeds.

Corey wrote:

<< I talked with Leo Franchi at length tonight also, his belief echos your
Group N contacts in that the 6 speed is no stronger than the 5 speed. >>

>That is true, The 6-speed isn't going to be any stronger than the 5-speed.

What is this, like, common knowledge since the 4th grade that I_just_
don't_know??  Crimony, left outta the loop again!  I think the point made
by Jeff Lin is that the 6 speed is *weaker* than the 5 speed.

>The
>6-speed does offer one definite benefit. That is: you can you a lower final
>drive ratio
>(go from the stock 3.15:1 or 3.23:1 final drive ratio to a 3.64:1 or 3.73:1
>final drive
>ratio) for better off the line accelaration, along with having a extra,
>overdrive, gear(6th
>gear) to maintain acceptible top speeds of 150+ mph. Those speeds should be
>easily reached with 400-500hp anyway. By the way(BTW), off the line
>accelaration
>should be no problem with 400-500hp, but the objective is to use whatever
>advantage
>you can get to make your point, especially when representing our fellow
>Bimwads.

Actually, I was thinking of using a 2.93 differential, actually going with
taller gearing.  I know this doesn't sound exactly right, but Rob will know
what I'm talking about here.  As it stands, there's not enough traction
to build full boost in 1st and 2nd gear...not enough load on the motor.

A taller gear will allow me to build more load, hence more boost, and
that boost would cancel out any slower acceleration effects of
having a taller diff.

And its not like I go 150+ mph anyways.  Sheesh, I'm not crazy.

Jason Leung
92 332i