<E34> 540iA - Transmission shift & rough idle problems

I have a 1995 E34 540iA that occasionally =28every month or so=29 pops up w=
ith a =22TRANS ERROR - SEE OWNERS MANUAL=22 error on the dash when I shift =
from Drive down to a lower gear when I slow down at a signal=2E  I took it =
in to the dealer about 3+ times already=2E=2E=2Efirst time=2C they said the=
y didn't find anything=2E  Second time=2C thanks to the advice of another d=
igester=2C I told the dealer that there were service bulletins addressing a=
n upgraded transmission program=2E  The problem still occasionally showed u=
p after the trans program upgrade=2E  I'm not that concerned that the error=
 shows up=2C I usually shut down the car for a minute and the error message=
 goes away=2E  But recently I've been experiencing a delayed shift =28i=2Ee=
=2E when backing out of a parking space=29 when I shift from Reverse to Dri=
ve=2E  Seems like the transmission doesn't engage quickly enough=2C even th=
ough I'm giving it time=2C and when I step on the gas the car inches forwar=
d=2E  At that point the transmission will suddenly engage for Drive fully a=
nd the lurch forward under gas=2E  A little scary=2C but with the third dea=
ler visit=2C the dealer still says he can't find anything=2E

The car also seems to have a rough idle when cold and stopped at intersecti=
ons=2E=2E=2Ewondering it this could be all related to a bad transmission=3F=

- -Will
willy=2Elee=40ey=2Ecom=