ABS problem

Greetings all-
Today, twice within a fifteen-mile drive, the ABS idiot light on the console
flashed on in my 89 535.  That wouldn't have been so bad, but the brakes also
kicked in for a second on their own accord while the light went on.  I think
the car self-braked only in the rear, which might be significant since I have
4-pot brembos up front.

Has anybody experienced similar symptoms? Any hypotheses? All suggestions are
welcome.

Thanks
Blake
89 535 i(s)
93 525 i

(no, you're not imagining things--this message is cross-posted)