<E28> Buying advice requested

I just joined the list.  As an introduction, I used to own a '68 1600 which
I sorely miss.  I'm looking into rejoining the roundel ranks and would like
your advice on e28's.

Specifically, I have looked at two e28's:
One, an '88 535is, 120k, but with automatic (rebuilt installed at 110k),
front bushings recently replaced.
Second, an '86 528e, 114k , manual trans, recent valve job, timing belt.

Bodies in both are good.  528e is especially clean.  535is has minor rust
popping out near door-side fender bottoms.  We live in St. Paul, MN where
roads get a-salted during winter.

Both cars have been _well_ maintained by local Eurocar mechanics who like
to race.  Both cars completely stock except for CD changers.

The engine on the 535is is appealing, but the slush box on it seems a
turn-off.  Besides robbing power and limiting gear control by the driver, I
worry about its reliability.  Can anyone address this?

The 528e is supposed to have low hp, low redline, but good torque.  How
much does this compromise its peppiness and fun?  Is motor reliability
significantly improved by keeping engine revs lower on average than "i"
motors?

Lastly, how much of a pain are the TRX tires?  I hear Tire Rack stocks
them.  Is it worth converting to new alloys or wheels from an e32/e34?

Thanks in advance,

 - Clive

'89 Volvo 745T
'87 Volvo 744 GLE (going)