Lets measure the shift lever side to side force: before & after SS

  Someone (with a 328is) that I bent a M-Z3 shift lever for, brought up the
subject.
  The following chart shows the difference in side to side gate force between
the stock M3-328 shift lever and the M-Z3 shift lever in my '96 328is.  My
328is has the same transmission and shift lever as the M3.  The measurements
were made from the top of the shift lever with the knob removed.  Down below
the force will be ~3.34 times as much.
  Check out:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/shiftkd.gif
  I was surprised at the force required to get into the reverse gate.  I was
also surprised at the low force to get into the 1-2 gate.  All readings are in
pounds.

           Side to side gate force check

                 Stock lever    M-Z3 shift lever

 N (3-4) > 1-2       2                2.25
 N (3-4) > 5         6                7
 N (3-4) > R        22.5             24.5

 RonStygar@domain.elided  FLY BMW  Marlborough, CT
   http://www.unofficialbmw.com/ronstygar.html