Squeek in E34 Steering

My '91 525i has recently developed an increasingly noticable squeek in the
steering, which seems to originate from fairly high up on the steering
column. I took it into the mechanics and was told "this is normal, we don't
know how to fix". This seems incorrect, since I recall recently reading on
the Digest about a similar complaint with noisy 3 series steering wheels,
solved with a copper lubricant, if memory serves. Can anybody give me some
specific suggestions that will point the mechanic in the right direction
and get this problem fixed? It is getting pretty loud...

Thanks,

Steve Bremner
Seattle area
'91 525i