'86 <E28> Fresh Air Flap Control Unit

Howdy,

I saw a posting last month covering the fresh air flap control unit on '86-'88
E28.  I made a mental note that I am glad that my fresh air flap works fine
because the remedy seemed nontrivial.  Well, I guess I should have not thought
such fortunate thoughts, because my air flap is stuck in the open position.
The slider control seems to have no effect as well as the A/C button.  It
seems that the damper motor is shot, how difficult is it to replace this
motor.  Bentley's referenced the removal of the "heater box", and that it is
not covered in the manual.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

- --Chris Barsalou