re-E30, M42, '91> Perf upgrades

Mark Cory Davis wrote:

I'm considering a Jim-C chip.  Is there any reason to get a different chip
or none at all?  Has anyone experienced the difference in a '91 318i (E30
body, E36 engine (M42))?
- --JC chip is probably the most recommended chip on the digest. The biggest
reason (except for HP increase you will receive) is the smooth incline
throughout the RPMs. You can say goodbye to the flat spots. I highly
recommend it as one the least expensive upgrades.

I'm also considering a K&N air filter.  Is it true that this will decrease
the life of the engine by allowing more contaminants into the engine?
- --No. Also, you didn't specify if you are going to a stock replacement or a
cone filter. If coned, it is advisable that you create a heat shield (or buy
it from Milos) to cover the cone K&N. This will reduce 2 things: 1. Air
turbulence 2. Sucking in hot air generated by the engine. To get HP to
increase, you need cold air...hot air will decrease HP. Another good
fabrication is to create a forced air induction system with a vacuum cleaner
hose running from the front of the spoiler to the cone.

Does the Jim-C chip need to know about the air filter configuration?
- --Yes, JC custom programs the chip for you car with the modifications you
have completed.

Also, what kind of HP improvement could one
expect from a perf. exhaust for this model vehicle?
- --None...adding an exhaust doesn't increase HP...just makes it sound meaner

These are just my thoughts from my experiences and reading the digest.

George Boudreau
95 325is--with all the mods listed above
83 323i--can't chip this one but has a drop in K&N