Slow speedo & Tacho

Hi all,
        A friend is having a problem with his speedo, it's reading too
slow, also, the tacho (rev. counter), is reading too slow. It's a 4cyl.
model (E30). I know there is a plastic rod (bar, call it whatever) which
is inserted into the back of the instrument cluster casing to tell the
instrument that it is a 4 cyl. engine that it is supposed to be reading
for. I know that with this bar removed , the tacho will read slow (i.e.
for a 6cyl. as the gauge electronics thinks it is reading from 6 instead
of 4, hence slower, get me?). After all that, my question is this, are
the two problems (slow, 1. speedo and 2. tacho) related, or are they
just two unhappy coincidences? Sorry if this is confusing!!
Mark fitz
sammy@domain.elided